birding-aus

Is this an outstanding year for crakes and rails for some reason?

To: John Graff <>
Subject: Is this an outstanding year for crakes and rails for some reason?
From: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 12:47:51 +1100
There's been a lot more than usual crake sightings in Tasmania this year,
especially at Gould's Lagoon on the outskirts of Hobart, especially Aus
Spotted and Ballion's, which have been rarely seen there in the past, but
have been seen a lot over the last few weeks.  I saw a lot of Buff-banded
Rails in South West WA while I was there in September and November, but I
have no idea whether those numbers were normal or not.

Jeremy