birding-aus

RFI: Swift Parrots

To: Allan Richardson <>
Subject: RFI: Swift Parrots
From: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 01:32:10 +1100
Hi all,

I concur with Bruny Island being your best bet.  I saw my first there on
some private land near Cloudy Bay, but Adventure Bay has been very reliable
this summer.  There have been a number of reports from around Hobart.  The
two reports I remember are some seen in a blue gum just off Hill Street in
West Hobart, and some seen in the blue gums at Sandown Park in Sandy Bay,
however I checked out both places and didn't see any for myself, so they
might have just been passing through.  Nearly every nature reserve in
Hobart has interpretation signs saying that they have been found in that
park, which indicates that you might be able to see them pretty much
anywhere  Mt Nelson/Uni Reserve, Waterworks Reserve and Knocklofty would
all be potential sites.  A little further out, but not as far as Bruny,
I've heard a couple of reports this summer from around Dover, but I don't
know the details, but it could be reliable.

Best of luck,

Jeremy