birding-aus

HOODED PARROT update :D

To: "" <>
Subject: HOODED PARROT update :D
From: Savannah Hardy <>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:22:03 -0800 (PST)
Hey hey,
Just in case you were in the Pine Creek N.T area or travelling there soon...
and wanted to know if the Hooded Parrot is still out and about...
I was on my way from Katherine to Darwin on Saturday avo/4:30pm (overcast day,
i usually observe them easy from 5:30pm onwards ) and thought i'd twist my
hubbies arm and stop in ONE last time and see if i can see the hoodies again
(can't imagine i'll be down that way for many years)..
I only had 10 minutes to spare before we had to keep going....i was at the
footy field in pine creek, near the miners camp end of the field, parked the
car, and scanned the field with my binoculars....NOTHING...feeling a little
dissapointed...i said to my hubby...oh well...we better go...
Right on queue, 3 Hooded Parrots flew in and landed on the fence next to the
car...oh happy day...
They usually like to feed on white clover looking flowers i've discovered...the
field had been mowed, so none were feeding on the field as usual...so these
ones, took off from the fence and flew behind my car into some unmown grass
where the white clover flowers were growing...

I hopped out of the car and filmed them/photographed them...i allowed my eyes
to drink it all in, was hard to walk back to the car and drive away, seems to
be a reliable spot to find these beauties at this time of year...i've been
observing them in the same spot for the last 3-4 mths...