birding-aus

Newbie Looking for Advice on Inland Parrots away from Sydney

Subject: Newbie Looking for Advice on Inland Parrots away from Sydney
From: Matthew Tuck <>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:18:29 -0800
Hi everyone. I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster, looking for some
advice on good spots travelling away from Sydney to see inland parrots
early in the new year - specifically tiels, budgies, bluebonnets and
most importantly major mitchells.

With my girlfriend, I've only been birding for about 9 months, but we've
managed to see some nice sights in that time. We've been along most of
the AU coast that's between Brisbane and Ceduna. We're mostly interested
in parrots (with some exceptions), and having mostly travelled along the
coast, we have quite a few missing ticks with regard to inland parrots.

I'm from Adelaide but am working in Sydney and am at the point where I'm
looking at exploring a little farther afield. We're probably going to
have an opportunity to get a car and go inland for a few days in late
January.

Any pointers to sites, resources or webpages would be very much
appreciated, as I'm not really sure of where to start. I'm aware of
Eremaea and have used it to get a basic idea of where the birds might be
but haven't found it to be a particularly good predictor in the past
compared to tips on webpages or by word of mouth. It would obviously be
nice if I knew of sites that had the potential for multiple ticks or are
as close as you can get to shoe-ins for a tick.

We had been thinking of heading to Canberra as my girlfriend hasn't seen
gang gangs or male king parrots and I've had good success there, but I'm
thinking it might be best to first concentrate on the inland parrots as
to my understanding from our past failed attempts, they'll be closer to
the coast during the summer. Any sites for the inland parrots nearer to
Canberra would be especially good however as we might be able to do
both.

Also, given it's going to be summer I'm obviously hoping I wouldn't have
to go out to the middle of nowhere and potentially be in danger, and
probably don't know enough about NSW geography to know where that would
begin. Perhaps February or March would be better in that respect, but I
don't know if all the birds will still be around in accessible places.

Any other uncommon parrots would be interesting too - I don't want to
overload the trip, but if they're in the area - my bird list here if
you're interested:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArE4pQYOA6HkdGZ3Q3NqQ21zUzd4cUdWTTdqaVNFN1E

Thanks in Advance,
Matthew Tuck