birding-aus

birding-aus Digest, Vol 81, Issue 20

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Digest, Vol 81, Issue 20
From: Ákos Lumnitzer <>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:12:07 +1100
Mark

After I had a look at your picture yesterday I knew it was a TG.
You referred to a call with multiple notes. I've seen and heard both species
of grassbirds (Little/Tawny) many, many times and heard all their calls.
Multiple notes indicate Tawny Grassbirds. The Little Grassbird call is most
often a mournful whistle in three parts, a short peep followed by two
slightly higher pitched longer peeps. Kind of like pee (short)  peeeeeee
(long) peeeeeee (long).

While it's attractive in itself, I wouldn't call it too melodic. A Tawny
Grassbird has a wonderful, long chirping and happy song, unlike the three
peeper Little Grassbird. I am happy to show you Little Grassbirds galore if
you come out my way and bring a pair of gummies.

Kind regards

Akos

Akos Lumnitzer
www.amatteroflight.com