birding-aus

Call for Bowra bird lists

To: <>
Subject: Call for Bowra bird lists
From: <>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:32:13 +1000
Hi,

Since August 2010, Birds Queensland volunteers have been looking after guests
at AWC Bowra Sanctuary and, as part of their duties, conduct a daily bird call.
This call is very good for letting the guests know what birds are around and
where they may be seen.  It is also useful for seasonal variations.  However,
because the number of observers may vary from 2 to 30, they are not reliable as
bird surveys.  As the collector/collator of this data, I have been looking at
getting better methods for collecting or analysing data.  I have been reliably
informed that our bird call data could be analysed by a method called List
Length Analysis.  Very simply, this looks at the probability of seeing a bird
compared with the total number of birds seen at that time ie if you only have a
small list of species, you will probably see only the most common birds.
Therefore, I would like birders who visited Bowra prior to August 2010 and
compiled a bird to send me a copy of that list.  The number of each species is
not important – what we need is the species list and the date.  This can be
sent to me at my private email address in any form compatible with Windows eg
xls, csv, doc, txt or even as a scanned jpg.  If I can get enough data, I think
we can get this analysed.  It will also give us a good base to chart future
changes in bird populations at Bowra.

We are also looking at setting up a system of Fixed Route Surveys.  Some have
drawn up and we are in the shakedown period of sorting out possible problems.
So, if you are an Atlaser and are going to visit Bowra next year, ask the
caretakers about them.

Thanks to all who send me data.

Bob