birding-aus

NSW, Sydney pelagic on Hal Epstein’s Halicat, 8th December 2012 (full re

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: NSW, Sydney pelagic on Hal Epstein’s Halicat, 8th December 2012 (full report and link to pictures)
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 00:00:17 -0800 (PST)
Sydney pelagic on Hal Epstein’s Halicat, 8th December 2012

A lingering, short ENE swell to 2 m made
the ride a little uncomfortable. As predicted the winds built up slowly in
strength from NE during the day getting up eventually to 18 knots (40 km/h) -
fortunately
when we were nearly back in the harbour.

Water temperature was over 20°C inshore
and 21°C in the deep blue water off the shelf.

Inshore birds were few and far between
with only the odd Wedge-tailed Shearwater, two Sooty Shearwaters and a lone
Arctic Jaeger being seen until we reached 5-8 NM offshore, when flocks of
migrating Short-tailed Shearwater appeared.  The waters
off the shelf proved much more productive, with the predominant Grey-faced
(Great-winged ssp. gouldi) Petrels responding well
to our berley trail along with one lone White-chinned Petrel and a few Wilson’s
Storm-Petrels. A full list of sightings is provided below.

Persistence pays off. After changing
position to a few miles farther offshore, the large numbers of Great-winged
Petrels that accompanied us from one spot to the other attracted several
Wandering, Black-browed and Campbell Albatross, which settled on the water
close to the boat.

The outward journey highlight was without
doubt the close sighting of a large pod of approximately 30 Pygmy Killer
Whales. On the return we were accompanied by quite a number of Short-beaked
Common Dolphins riding the bow wave for several miles.

Here is a link to Raja’s photos of the
day:
http://www.adarman.com/Pelagics/New-South-Wales-Pelagics/2012-December-08-Sydney

Birds:
Wilson’s
Storm-Petrel: 5 (never more than two at a time)
Wandering-type
Albatross: 4+ (most likely all Gibson’s, one possibly Antipodean)
Black-browed
Albatross: 1 (1st/2nd year)
Campbell
Albatross: 3 (all 1st/2nd year)
Shy Albatross: 2
(adult)
White-chinned
Petrel: 1
Wedge-tailed
Shearwater: x
Flesh-footed
Shearwater: 2 (never more than one at a time – very
low number)
Sooty
Shearwater: 2 (on the way out; didn’t get good looks – bulky appearance, heavy
wing-load and contrasting silver flashes [the three parallel bars on the inner
underwing coverts were not seen due to observation angle])
Short-tailed
Shearwater: x (still southbound migration)
Hutton’s
Shearwater: 1
Grey-faced
Petrel: x
Providence
Petrel: 1 (pristine plumage, late)
Little
Penguin: 1 (seen by only one observer)
Australasian
Gannet: 3 (2 adult, one 2nd year bird)
Little
Black Cormorant: 2
Pomarine
Jaeger: 6
Arctic
Jaeger: 2
Long-tailed
Jaeger: 1
Sooty
Tern: 1
Sterna spec.: 1 (very white secondaries,
sharply defined narrow black trailing edge to primaries ruled out Common;
looked a bit to bulky for Arctic; maybe late White-fronted? Unfortunately no
photos were obtained)
Crested
Tern: x
Silver