birding-aus

Fwd: Game birds and shooting in National Parks

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Game birds and shooting in National Parks
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:49:22 +1100
Dear B-A,

I have been asked to pass on the following post.

The restriction of hunting of ducks and game birds to private property is a
very cunning move. It prevents the oversight of the hunting by protest groups.
The only scrutiny will be by Inspectors from the NSW Game Council, who must
obtain prior permission from the landholder to enter private property. This is
roughly the same degree of power of entry as you and I.

Carl Clifford

Good Afternoon Bird Club representatives in NSW,

As you will be aware the Game and Feral Animal Control Further Amendment Act
2012 has become law on 22 November, 2012. This is an Act to amend the Game and
Feral Animal Control Act 2002 and the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 to
make provision with respect to the killing of native game birds on private
land; and for other purposes.

Below is the list of birds this Act affects.

Part 1A Native game birds (licence required to hunt

on private land)

Note. Additions or omissions to the following list of native game birds may
only be

made by Act of Parliament and not by Ministerial order under section 5.

Ducks

Australian Shelduck or Mountain Duck (Tadorna tadornoides)

Australian Wood Duck or Maned Duck (Chenonetta jubata)

Black Duck or Pacific Black Duck (Anas superciliosa)

Blue-winged Shoveler or Australasian Shoveler (Anas rhynchotis)

Chestnut Teal (Anas castanea)

Grass Whistling Duck or Plumed Whistling Duck (Dendrocygna eytoni)

Grey Teal (Anas gibberifrons)

Hardhead Duck or White-eyed Duck (Aythya australis)

Pink-eared Duck (Malacorhynchus membranaceus)

Water Whistling Duck, Wandering  Whistling Duck or Whistling or

Wandering Tree Duck (Dendrocygna arcuata)

Quails

Brown Quail (Coturnix ypsilophora)

Stubble Quail (Coturnix pectoralis)

Pigeons

Common Bronzewing Pigeon (Phaps chalcoptera)

Crested Pigeon (Ocyphaps lophotes)

A second Amendment is in the wings but it apparently has not been passed into
law as yet.

Wilderness and National Parks and Wildlife Legislation Amendment (Management)
2012.

An Act to amend the Wilderness Act 1987 and the National Parks and Wildlife Act
1974 with respect to the management of wilderness areas

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/nswbills.nsf/1d4800a7a88cc2abca256e9800121f01/f5ae2ecb4df8b4baca257a7d001c5bb0?

This, so far as I am aware, is the Amendment which will allow shooting in
national parks.

I think that all bird clubs must send letters of objection (if you have not
already done so and I know that many of you already have) to both of these Acts
and that you should let your members know and ask them to write letters or send
emails of objection. I have made up a list of the local members of parliament
in the Hunter Region and sent it out to our members via Hunter Birding chat
line.

I feel sure, but I hope I am wrong, that these Amendments are setting the scene
to reintroduce duck shooting in NSW. We need a deluge of objections.

Ann Lindsey