birding-aus

Iron Range/Cape York trip November 2012

To: Keith Fisher <>, birding-aus threads <>
Subject: Iron Range/Cape York trip November 2012
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 00:32:42 +1100
Hi  Keith & All,

I'm glad that you have commented & directed us all to your images of
Black-faced Monarchs seen at Kingfisher Park over recent years.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that this species does show individual
variation that has seemingly been overlooked in the past. Obviously, for
obsevers not overly familiar with the similar Black-winged Monarch, such
variation amongst Black-faced does cause some confusion when identiifying
between these 2 very closely related species.
I believe, after having looked at your blog-site showing images of various
individuals, that all are indeed Black-faced Monarchs. For me, none of these
birds are silvery-white enough or black enough where they need to be, to be
considered anything other than Black-faced Monarchs (although some are
unusual).

Image #5 is the most interesting to me however - your bird is no doubt (to me
at least!!) a Black-faced Monarch. This is the first time I've seen or been
shown this type of plumage in Black-faced!!

I've seen a few & have good photographs of Black-winged Monarchs with similar,
but also more extensive, black gorgets through the breast-band connecting with
rufous lower breast. Such birds also show more black than would normally be
expected through the wing medians of Black-wingeds & also have a much more
extensive mask that usually connects with the black eye-surrounds, sometimes
even forming a brow that appears to extend behind the eye (although this
extension behind the eye could well be a result of expression).
I feel that this black "over-pigmentation" (someone please give me the correct
term for this!!) may well be some kind of feature shown by older dominant males
(I've been privately calling these types as "alpha" males) that indeed occurs
in both Black-winged & Black-faced Monarchs - your image #5 is the first
evidence that I've seen that Black-faced does also show this plumage, whatever
the reason for it...

I've also asked a few people in more southern parts to keep an eye out for
Black-faced Monarchs showing more black than we think they should - especially
on the wings, tail, & head/breast.
So I am also very interested to hear about or see any images from anyone out
there of Black-faced Monarchs showing such black "over-pigmentation"...

Keith, it's great that you noticed a male monarch displaying - this is, as far
as I'm aware, something only just discovered in Black-faced last year...?? Did
the male lift & spread his wings, as well as spread & fan his tail???
I also have good images of Black-winged Monarchs doing all this plus more -
something I'm working on currently for publication...

It's amazing what we are finding out...
I'm heading to my Black-winged Monarch study site this coming weekend for 4
days to do some more work on the Black-wingeds, & also doing some fieldwork on
southern Tropical Scrubwrens  there as well...

Please everyone, keep your eyes peeled for blacker than normal Black-faced
Monarchs any where, but especially south of the Wet Tropics...

Cheers for now,

Martin Cachard,

Cairns,

0428 782 808