birding-aus

New Australian wildlife series

To: Denise Goodfellow <>
Subject: New Australian wildlife series
From: Ronda Green <>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 06:15:37 +1000
Sounds great. I'd like to see it

Simon, I'm told you'd like to be involved with the wildlife tourism workshop in
NT next year. What are your ideas so far?  Have you seen the notes on our
website?

    http://wildlifetourism.org.au/blog/workshop-2013/

You may also be interested to know about our research network, and perhaps
suggest others who should be included:

   http://wildlifetourism.org.au/information/research-by-tour-operators-etc/

Cheers

Ronda

On 02/12/2012, at 5:57 AM, Denise Goodfellow wrote:

> I can vouch for the quality of Simon and his crew's work on the National
> Landscapes Strategy, having just seen a draft video made in the Top End
> earlier this year.
>
> I've worked with film crews on documentaries since the early 1990s, mostly
> with the BBC, and I've only seen one produce anywhere near the quality of
> this video.
>
> Simon's dream of connecting people to nature has been mine as well, and
> that's what I've tried to do both in my guiding and my books.  In September,
> 2013, Wildlife Tourism Australia will be holding a workshop in the Top End
> examining that very issue, and looking at how tourism can do it better.
>
> Simon, congratulations.
>
> Regards
>
> Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
> 1/7 Songlark Street,
> Bakewell, NT 0832
> 043 8650 835
>
> PhD candidate, SCU
> Vice-chair, Wildlife Tourism Australia
> Nominated for the Condé Nast international ecotourism award, 2004 by the
> renowned American website, Earthfoot.
> Wildlife Adviser, BBC’s ‘Deadly 60’
>
> Birds of Australia's Top End and Quiet Snake Dreaming available on
> amazon.com
> A second edition of Fauna of Australia’s Top End used by the University of
> NSW as a text for 12 years is now under preparation.
>
> 'It gave me huge insight into the lives' of Aboriginal Australians’,
> Jonathon Franzen, American author, birder, conservationist (August, 2011)
> on Quiet Snake Dreaming.
>
> The best guide in Darwin is Denise Goodfellow. Bo Beolens, the Fat Birder
> www.denisegoodfellow.com
>

> On 1/12/12 10:44 AM, "Simon Mustoe" <> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> I'm sorry it's been a while since I've emailed birding-aus. We've had immense
>> support from so many people on this list so I wanted to let you know what
>> we've been up to and why the silence.
>> For those of you who don't know me personally, I've spent a life-time in
>> ecological consultancy. For 15 years I have worked to establish and push
>> forward the notion of proper environmental protection at the professional
>> level. We are always going to need great consultants and it's essential that
>> the best people end up in the profession ... however, I came to realise that
>> could spend my time better spent doing something different.
>> So I set up Wildiaries (and Bird-O) to realise a dream I have had all along
>> of
>> connecting everyday people to nature, to inspire interest from people outside
>> of groups like this - people who aren't as lucky as we are and don't
>> necessarily know the joy and excitement that nature gives us.
>> Our most exciting project so far is a non-profit film series on Australian
>> nature. We're working with a national tourism body to create what is arguably
>> the most comprehensive series about Australian wildlife for decades. We're
> [...]

Ronda Green, BSc(Hons) PhD
Araucaria Ecotours
http://www.learnaboutwildlife.com

ph 61 7 5544 1283
Visit us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/AraucariaEcotours
Araucaria Blog: http://araucariaecotours.com.au

Chair Wildlife Tourism Australia: http://wildlifetourism.org.au
Chair Scenic Rim Wildlife: http://scenicrim.wildlife.org.au/
Adjunct research fellow, Environmental Futures Centre,  Griffith University