birding-aus

Port Fairy Pelagic 18 November 2012

To: <>
Subject: Port Fairy Pelagic 18 November 2012
From: "Neil Macumber & Alison Bainbridge" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:25:16 +1100
Birdswing Birding & Wildlife Tours Pelagic trip off Port Fairy, Victoria
Sunday 18th November 2012

Observers: Neil Macumber (organiser and report writer), John Edwards, John
Stirling, Rob Drummond, Steve Clark, Andrew McCutcheon, Joan Broadberry,
Clive Curson, Anne Looney, Geoff Glare and Neil Marriott.

Conditions:  It was a very confused sea, very choppy & sloppy conditions.
Approximately 50% cloud, windy, swells to 2.5 metres.  In the afternoon
seas moderated sunny with 15% cloud cover.

Overview: Left the Port Fairy wharf at 0720 EDST along the Moyne River out
to sea heading at 215˚.

An enthusiast group left the calm Moyne River into a very rough and choppy
Bass Strait.  For the first hour very few birds were sighted, one Hutton’s
Shearwater, one Shy Albatross and the occasional gannet.  Just before
10:00am we saw Arctic Jaeger on three occasions most likely the same bird.
After 10:00am we started to see a little more.  One Giant Petrel species,
Shy Albatross, Gannet, Arctic Jaeger, Prions, Short-tailed Shearwater and
White-chinned Petrel.

At 11:44am we made our only lengthy stop in 91.5 fathoms.  We saw Northern
Royal Albatross, Yellow-nosed Albatross, Shy Albatross and Campbell Island
Albatross, Crested Tern, White-chinned and Great-winged Petrel, Short -
tailed Shearwater, Fairy Prion, White-faced Storm Petrel, Long-tailed
Jaeger, and Southern Giant Petrel.  We left at 13:29pm for port.

At 13:50 in 89.5 fathoms a White-headed Petrel came around the boat
allowing good photo opportunities and at 14:38pm a Northern Giant Petrel
was sighted.

We docked at 16:15pm.  Mammals seen were Common Dolphin and Australian Fur
Seal.  One Australian Fur Seal was sighted in the river just as we were
about to dock.  Everyone enjoyed themselves with most people adding pelagic
species to their life list.

Birds: 22 species off shore

Pelagic Species: - Royal Albatross, White-capped (Shy) Albatross, Campbell
Island Albatross, Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross, Albatross species (most
likely Bullers Albatross), Northern Giant Petrel, Southern Giant Petrel,
Fairy Prion, possible Slender-billed Prion, Great-Winged Petrel, White-
headed Petrel, White-chinned Petrel, Short-tailed Shearwater, Hutton’s
Shearwater, White-Faced Storm-Petrel, Australasian Gannet, Arctic Jaeger,
Long-Tailed Jaeger, Pacific Gull, Kelp Gull, Silver Gull and Crested Tern.

Mammals: Common dolphins and a couple of Australian Fur Seals.

Proposed Dates for remainder of 2012 Trips: Sunday 2nd December.  Trips
will go if there are enough numbers and the weather is suitable.  There are
only a couple spots available. First in gets a spot allocated.  2013 dates
will be finalised soon.  See our website for more details
<http://www.birdingwildlifetours.com.au/>
http://www.birdingwildlifetours.com.au/

Cheers

Neil Macumber