birding-aus

Recording taken of birds during total eclipse

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Recording taken of birds during total eclipse
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 08:29:26 +0000
Hi All,

I have been flat strap since getting back last Saturday after watching the
total eclipse - hence this is the first time I have read the thread about what
the birds did.

We watched it from near Mt Molloy and had an uninterrupted view.  It was the
most magical thing I have ever seen! In response to Phil Veerman's email I
decided to try and get a recording, but I did not want to have to think about
being distracted from such a visual event.

When we finally drove out of clouds to a spot where the sun was in full view
near Rifle Creek I noticed a track leading off the layby where we parked.  I
walked down the track at high speed to put my olympus recorder and microphone
far enough away from hollering, yelling humans (me among them, of course!) -
but near enough to allow me to be able to identify the exact time of totality.

So I have a recording from about 0615 to 10 minutes after totality.

I have listened to it once since and have not downloaded it yet. Once I do
download it and work out the timings correctly I will be more than happy to
share it with anyone with an interest or bent in analysing this sort of thing.

Understand, though, that I am a real novice at this, and so I cannot vouch for
how useful it will be, and, as mentioned you can hear some human responses and
chatterings in the background.  I would also assume that I am not the only
birder who did this, and it would be really interesting to compare recordings.

What I can say is that White-throated Honeyeaters sang during totality and
lorikeets shut up! And amazingly, some humans totally ignored the event as a
couple of cars drove past during totality without stopping!!!

For those who have only seen eclipses on TV, the actual experience is very
different.  I was expecting it to go as dark at night but it was much more like
what the Scots would describe as a 'gloaming'.

Kind regards

Judith

PS. Thanks to all who provided info on the White-browed Crakes.  We had
terrific views!

Judith Hoyle
Brisbane
0437549301