birding-aus

Waders to share shoreline with off the leash dogs?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Waders to share shoreline with off the leash dogs?
From: Burnice Starkey <>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:23:05 +0000

 Help!!

Several
months ago, the Northside Chronicle Wed March 28 ran a story stating that dog
lovers want the local Brisbane Council to provide an off-leash dog area along
the Sandgate foreshore. A meeting was to be hosted in the next few weeks…

There
will be an inaugural planning meeting to prepare a

Sharing Shorelines proposal to put to Council: Saturday 17 November at 10am.

The delay has been reported as being due to two key matters - whether Council
was prepared to consider a submission to create space for a dog off-leash area
on part of our beachfront, and whether Queensland Parks and Wildlife was
prepared to consider allowing a dog off-leash area on the Moreton Bay Marine
Park (which our local sandy foreshore forms part of).

The first discussion on this issue is proposed for the Sandgate & District
Historical Society & Museum-

150 Rainbow Street Sandgate, on Saturday 17 November at 10am.

I am alarmed to hear that many members of the Qld Wader Group QWSG will all be
in Mackay doing a survey.
As the dog-lovers will be present and very vocal we need people to speak up for
the Waders.
It's a Marine Park. Is it not part of the Ramsar area?
I, Burnice Starkey, have lived and walked along this foreshore a few times a wk
for the past 12 years.
I have seen the steady decline in migratory birds and regularly see early
morning dog walkers letting their dog loose
to run over the tidal areas happily chasing the bird life. I have not seen a
Red-neck Stint in 2 years.
Previously 15-20 were seen yearly from Sept till March.Wimbrils and Eastern
Curlews are regularly disturbed.
30 Bar-tailed Godwits were happily pursued by a small pedigree this morning at
6.15am.
While we watched the eclipse.
These dogs are not on leash, they are not out in the waves/water,
they are running on the mud and sand between 19th Avenue and 10th Avenue where
the waders feed at low tide.

If you are able to attend and have a laptop presentation please email Victoria
Newton your submission.

Victoria Newton

Councillor for Deagon Ward

Deagon Ward Office