birding-aus

Big Year record with Semi-P

Subject: Big Year record with Semi-P
From: John Weigel <>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 15:06:27 +1100
Apologies for not putting this 'out there' yet.  Its been very hectic (but
crazy fun)

But species #721 was Semipalmated plover at Simpson's Beach Broome on 28
October, which appears to be an Aussie Big Year record. This followed an
amazing week on George Swan's Ashmore trip. I highly (highly) recommend it just
read the trip report reported on this forum by Mike Carter!

Then off to Lord Howe Island for a nice slow-down, with Mrs and a few
workmates.  WB Storm-petrel and LHI Woodhen were only ticks.  Highlight was
meeting and spending some time with Andrew Silcox from Birdlife Aus.

>From Sydney airport last night I drove to Paynesville, and after a mini-panic,
>saw the way-faring Franklin's Gull at the 'gravel car park'.  That makes 724.
>Will drive home now and tomorrow will try for Painted Snipe near home, then
>the Arctic Tern at Newie. I did update the blog a week ago, after the Semi P,
>and will try do get more images, including the Canadian interloper from
>Paynesville, in the coming days. www.birdingfordevils.com.au  .

Best wishes
John