birding-aus

Oodnadatta Track

To: "birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Oodnadatta Track
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:06:53 +1030
After our trip up the Strz Track, we ventured up the Oodnadatta Tk, but only as
far as Coward Springs.  We baled out at that point because the temperature was
hitting 41°C, and there was a hot wind blowing, making it very uncomfortable.
As the week of temperature forecasts that we had showed no improvement, we
decided it was not going to be worth it to keep going.
Before we left Coward Springs, we did get a Spotless Crake, Black-fronted
Dotterels nesting (broken-wing act), and Black-winged Stilts were the most
interesting observations.
Picked up two more Cinnamon Quail-thrush at the turn-off to the Mound Springs,
and later at Margaret Creek, where we had our first Black-breasted Buzzard of
the trip so far.  (We are from Grafton, NSW and have spent about ten weeks on
the road, so the Buzzard has taken a long time.)

We returned south via Stokes Hill and looked in vain for the Short-tailed
Grasswren around there, Apealanna (?) Ruins and other spots in the vicinity
that we had been told were possibilities.  So all told we were there at various
times over 4 or 5 days!  We have decided that it must be a "mythical bird that
does not exist".  There were up to 5 Elegant Parrots at the dam at the base of
Stokes Hill each time we were there.

Peter and Bev Morgan
Note: just spoke to a friend who sent a photo of the Short-tailed GW from
Stokes Hill a few days ago.