birding-aus

Franklins Gull in Victoria

Subject: Franklins Gull in Victoria
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:49:05 +1000 (EST)
Hello birders,

I'm enjoying the start of winter here in Canada and actually just got three
lifers this weekend [Cackling goose, Northern Pygmy Owl and Thayers Gull] but I
digress.

My parents, who are casual bird watchers, skyped me this evening to boast of a
black-headed gull that they had seen recently in Victoria. I told them whatever
gull with a black head it was would be newsworthy and so they sent me some
photos taken.

It turns out it is a Franklins Gull - seen and photographed - in Paynesville on
the Gippsland Lakes in Victoria on the 9th October. So sorry about the lateness
of this notice but I have only just found out............

I can send a picture or two for verification.

Cheers now,
Ken Cross