birding-aus

Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update
Date: 22 Oct 2012 01:31:50 +1000

Birdline Tasmania

Published sightings for the week ending 21 Oct 2012.

Sat 20 Oct Hardhead Farm Dam between Carrick and Westbury exit
Flock of at least 40 Hardhead on large dam just beside Bass Highway. Not an uncommon species in Tasmania, but seldom seen in such large numbers. These have been here for many weeks.
John and Shirley Tongue

Fri 19 Oct Whiskered Tern Oatlands Sewage Ponds
Following the report of unidentified small terns at Oatlands a few days ago, I stopped there on the way south on Wed, but with a gale blowing, nothing was up and about.... and I could not hold the bins steady anyway!! Coming north today, I stopped again, and there was a lone Whiskered Tern hawking insects from about the southern pond. Lots of distant photos, none very good, but a nice "dusky" specimen!!
John Tongue

Tue 16 Oct Unidentified small terns Settlement Ponds Oatlands
A report of approx 20 small terns (around Fairy Tern size) seen over these ponds per phone at 3.30pm today. Observer familiar with terns but lacked binoculars!
Alan Fletcher

Grey Goshawk Mt Rumney
A grey goshawk has been covering the vineyard area of our property for the last two days - first time I have ever seen one.
Philip Walker

Sun 14 Oct Beautiful firetail Mt Nelson
Single bird visiting backyard fishpond for a drink.
Fiona Wilson

Birdline Tasmania is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.