birding-aus

Ash Island, NSW

To: Christine Melrose <>, "" <>
Subject: Ash Island, NSW
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:21:21 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Christine (and for the benefit of others),

Have a look at HBOC's Birding Routes brochures for Ash Island, as well as Alan
Stuart's paper on the Birds of Ash Island at:

http://www.hboc.org.au/index.cfm?menukey=11

Tides do play a large part in the behaviour or location of birds but not to the
extent as other Hunter Estuary sites such as the Stockton Sandspit.

I was out there a few days ago and didn't see a great deal. There was a Brown
Songlark over the saltmarsh on Swan Pond, which is of interest locally. I also
had a Baillon's Crake at the intersection of Bell Frog Track and Wagtail Way.

There was a Latham's Snipe reported there on Saturday (see Birdline), though no
location is given. The Banded Stilt that has been present in the estuary has
been seen on Ash Island a couple of times recently (at Teal Waters).

You should be fine in your vee-dub. The area is dry and roads are ok. Only the
extreme tides get close to affecting any of the roads.

Mick