birding-aus

RFI: Wyperfeld tracks

To: "'Luke Shelley'" <>, <>
Subject: RFI: Wyperfeld tracks
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 21:25:47 +1100
Hi Luke,

Others have probably already stressed the difficulty of this track, but I'll
add my bit...

I've driven that track a good seven or eight times - and each time I do it
scares the willies out of me. The sand is incredibly deep in places - in
particular on the corners - so, as a result it is easy to lose traction in
the worst of places. Surprisingly, the sand is often deep on the upslopes of
the hills - and there are many hills (dunes really). If it has rained, you
would be better off as it makes driving on the sand easier - however, after
really heavy rain, the water accumulates in wheel ruts and other
inconvenient spots, so you are alternately dealing with deep sand and mud!

I have driven it in a "soft" 4WD - a BMW X5, of all things. Whilst not
recommended for "real" four-wheel-driving, its incredibly wide tyres made
driving on sand a dream. The torque-y diesel engine was really helpful too -
especially on one occasion, when following another vehicle that became
bogged, I had to stop in deep sand on the upward side of a dune.

I have also driven it in a real 4WD - a Mitsubishi Pajero. Once again, the
diesel engine made a lot of difference. I haven't driven it in a Subaru, or
a smaller soft-roader like an X-Trail or a Honda CR-V.

There are several tracks in Victoria that I wouldn't consider driving
without precautions - plenty of food and water in case you get stuck, and
the appropriate recovery gear like snatch straps and perhaps a hand winch.
These tracks include the one that you've mentioned, the Salt Lake track in
Little Desert, the border track (in places) and Red Bluff Track in Big
Desert. I would also strongly recommend driving in the company of another
vehicle.

I notice that a few others have recommended notifying a ranger. My
experience with that is that rangers are very thin on the ground in
Wyperfeld.

I hope this helps and doesn't deter you from adventuring!

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria