birding-aus

Fwd: Trip report Sun 16 Sept BirdLife Eaglehawk Neck Tas Pelagic

To: "" <>
Subject: Fwd: Trip report Sun 16 Sept BirdLife Eaglehawk Neck Tas Pelagic
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 19:27:13 +1000

 BIRDLIFE AUSTRALIA PELAGIC TRIP off EAGLEHAWK NECK, Tas, Sunday 16^th
 September 2012

OBSERVERS: Sue Taylor, Jen Spry, Els Wakefield, Murray Lord, Paul Dodd, Ruth Woodrow, John Weigel, Mark Stanley, Geoff Jones, Scott Baker, Tim Collins and Rohan Clarke (organiser/report compiler)

WEATHER: A 15 knot NW in the AM increasing slightly as we crossed the shelf before moderating to 5 knots and variable by 1100 where it remained for the remainder of the day. 95% cloud all day with occasional patches of brighter light. Good visibility. Cool to mild.

SEA: Reasonably flat through inshore waters with first real swell at the Hipploytes. In offshore and pelagic waters a 0.5m sea on a 2 m south-easterly swell with occasional larger sets to 3 m. A comfortable ride throughout the day. Other than some wind-whipped spray around the Hippolytes in the AM we remained dry with almost no other spray or splash. The swell made at 1300 with a change in tide but by this time the sea had moderated to almost glassy conditions. Another pleasant day at sea.

ACTIVITY: Sailed at 0705 EST. Headed out past the Hipployte rock stack before proceeding to the shelf which we crossed at 0855. Few birds out to the Hippolytes and generally low numbers all the way to the shelf – indeed there were clearly fewer birds than the previous day. Our first stop at 43º13.20’S 148º15.37’E started over 250 fathoms were we berleyed with fish discards and chicken skin. Because it took a long time to build a core of birds, rather than shift after an hour we elected to stay at the one site for nearly 3 hours. In that time we drifted 2.5 miles to finish over 600+ fathoms of water. From here we moved towards Tasman Island to make a second and final berley stop at 43º13.16’S 148º11.17’E over 250 fathoms of water. Headed back in at 1315, docking at around 1505.

MAMMALS:

Australian Fur Seal: 22 on Hippolyte Rock.

BIRDS: ~23 species beyond Pirates Bay (+ a few additional albatross/petrel taxa) indicates good diversity. Highlights were good but brief views of a Grey Petrel, huge numbers of Common Diving Petrels and excellent views of both Royal Albatross.

Great-winged Petrel: 20 (10). All pelagic. Mostly ssp. gouldii, 2 nominate. All pelagic.

White-headed Petrel: 1 very distant bird providing ‘rubbish views’ at the second berley point.

Soft-plumaged Petrel: 2 (1). Both very distant bird providing ‘rubbish views’ at the first berley point.

Cape Petrel: 8 (5). All pelagic. 4 definite nominate and 1 definite australe.

GREY PETREL: 1 brief flyby at second berley point provided reasonable views for all on board.

Common Diving Petrel: 600 (100). 3 inshore in AM, 105 offshore in AM, 2 pelagic at the second berley point but then large numbers (500+) in the PM from 2 miles north of the Hippolytes back to within 4 miles of Pirates Bay.

Fairy Prion: 8 (4) All pelagic.

Northern Giant-Petrel: 12 (8). Mostly immatures, 2 sub-adults. One offshore, remainder pelagic.

Southern Giant-Petrel: 1 juvenile at the second berley point.

SOUTHERN ROYAL ALBATROSS: 3 (2). 1 juvenile, 2 immature/sub-adults all pelagic.

NORTHERN ROYAL ALBATROSS: 2 immatures at the first berley point.

Black-browed Albatross: A single immature at the first berley point.

Shy Albatross all /cauta/steadi/: 70 (35). 5 adults inshore, 15 adults offshore, remainder pelagic. 1 immature (pelagic), remainder adult.

Salvins Albatross: 1. A single cracking adult at the second berley point.

Yellow-nosed Albatross: 1. A single adult at the first berley point.

Buller’s Albatross: 2 (1). 1 adult near the Hippolytes in the AM, 1 adult (with mottled nape) at both berley points.

Hutton’s Shearwater: 1 pelagic at the first berley point.

Short-tailed Shearwater: 4 (3). 1 offshore in the AM, 3 together at the second berley point, feeding and diving for scraps.

Sooty Shearwater: 4 (1) all pelagic.

Black-faced Cormorant: 4 inshore in the AM and 110 on and around Hippolyte Rock.

Australasian Gannet: 3 (2). 1 inshore and 2 pelagic at the first berley point. Also 10 on the Hippolytes.

Crested Tern: 62 (40). 41 inshore, 1 offshore and 20 pelagic. Also 260 on the Hippolytes.

Kelp Gull: 39 (35). Mostly adult. 2 offshore, remainder inshore. Also 20 on the Hippolytes.

Pacific Gull: 5 adults inshore in AM, 4 adults on the Hippolytes.

Silver Gull: 4 inshore, 1 offshore, plus 30 on and around the Hippolytes.

A White-faced Heron and a White-bellied Sea-Eagle at the Hippolytes (probably the same two birds as Saturday) rounded out the list.

Regards,

Rohan Clarke

--
Rohan Clarke