birding-aus

Wandering Tattler time is approaching.

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Wandering Tattler time is approaching.
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 16:34:31 +1000
Around the end of this month or early in November the Wandering Tattlers will
begin to arrive again in north eastern Australia.
Already wader-watchers in Australia are noticing the arrival of Grey-tailed
Tattlers and there is the usual careful scrutinising of individuals from that
species going on in the hope of finding that one of them is really a Wandering
Tattler.

I would like to take this opportunity, then, to remind interested parties there
is a comprehensive Wandering Tattler identification guide on my website at
http://www.photos-n-guides.com/html/wandering_tattler.html
It is quite probable that the first Wandering Tattler arrivals will be
juveniles and to help with identifying them there is a photo gallery on my
website at http://www.photos-n-guides.com/html/juvenile_wandering_tattler.html
It could be a worthwhile exercise to compare the images in that gallery with
the images of the juvenile Grey-tailed Tattler on Chris Watson’s blog at
http://comebirdwatching.blogspot.com.au/2012_09_01_archive.html (the entry for
Saturday 29 2012)
Compare how much more obvious the spotting and edge-fringing is on the
upper-body feathers of the juv Grey-tailed Tattler. That is a key to separating
the juveniles of these two species.

For another set of high quality Wandering Tattler images there is the gallery
on my SmugMug site at
http://ptiloris.smugmug.com/Birds-of--Oz-Sets/Wandering-Tattler/16860753_x5Gmrc#!i=1273043177&k=wVQdS2z

There is also a lot of other birding related stuff on my website at
http://www.photos-n-guides.com/index.html
The latest items added include:
- a photo gallery of a one-footed Eastern Reef Egret surviving quite well at
Caloundra on the Queensland Sunshine Coast.
http://www.photos-n-guides.com/html/a_one_footed_eastern_reef_egret_surviving_well_.html
- a photo gallery of images from Lamington National Park in SE Qld
http://www.photos-n-guides.com/html/28th_september_-__lamington_np-_se_qld_.html
- a test of skills at identifying male Pied Butcherbird from female Pied
Butcherbird
http://www.photos-n-guides.com/html/8th_august_-_a_pair_of_pied_butcherbirds.html

Details of other additions and changes can be found by clicking on the “Last
updated” link on the Home page.

Have fun.

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point