birding-aus

700th bird for 2012

To: "John Weigel" <>, <>
Subject: 700th bird for 2012
From: "Peter Madvig" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 18:46:58 +1000
Unbelievable - amazing!!! Well done John - however.... you'll have to write a book, when the year is over :-)

Congratulations.
(Sean Dooley had 73 in a year, according to his book).

Cheers
Peter Madvig
PS. Just back from a week in N.T. 7 lovely new birds, crippling views of some, and some surprising omissions. Ah well, next time.....!! Oh, one was a Letter-winged Kite, which my wife remarked on as we were driving along, Oh - here's a different Kite, has a black V under each wing....took me a few seconds to ask "..a white kite, like Black-shouldered??!!!!" 'Yes..." Couldn't reverse, coach coming along, had to wiz over the wide South Alligator River bridge, turn about, and found it sitting atop a tree, after a while. Walked up pretty close to it, beautiful. It was letting the breeze cool off the underwings, showing lots of black, Finally took off, banked into the low sun, making for difficult underwing viewing.....but we managed better views. I even returned later, eventually having it hovering and gliding over the grass plains, and was still doing so as it got dark.It initially had been perched near the trees/mangroves along the river. (South side Arnhem Hwy, East of river).