birding-aus

Eaglehawk Pelagidipphobia treatment 16/09

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Eaglehawk Pelagidipphobia treatment 16/09
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:58:06 +1000
Hi all,

As many of you know, there is a condition that many birders suffer from
called “Pelagidipphobia” (the fear of dipping on a mega rarity by missing a
pelagic birding trip – called “dipidus” to those who suffer). The symptoms
are completely insuperable, incurable even, and when the Siren call is
heard, via phone or email, a sufferer of this cruel affliction can do
naught but obey, for the consequences of disobedience are horrific. I once
bound myself to my desk chair with strong ropes while the call came clearly
from Port Fairy, not once but thrice. I sighed as the last called faded
into the Friday-night sea, then heard the following Monday that an Atlantic
Petrel had been seen on the trip – aaaargh! The thought still pains me.

So, when the same Siren called again a few weeks ago, from Eaglehawk this
time, I knew better than to tie myself to a desk chair and resist, I
slashed my bonds, threw huge handfuls of money at a passing Red-tailed
Qantas-bird, and went in chase of rarities. Sigh, the insouciant feelings
that overcame me as I sat with friends, old and new, dipidus sufferers all,
sipping alcoholic libations to Artemis the goddess of bird(ing), in the
lounge of Eaglehawk’s 1930s art-deco Lufra Hotel, the warming fire
crackling behind us, made the trip worth while, even before we boarded the
good ship Pauletta next dawn to head out and hunt the mega-bird that I knew
awaited. Sigh.

And the mega bird, for me anyway, turned up. On my trip to Macquarie Island
last year I missed only one of the expected pelagic specialties; Grey
Petrel. On Sunday morning, some 12 nautical miles off the Tasmanian
south-east coast, out past the Hypolite Rock, a Grey Petrel was spotted by
Scott (may Aretmis bless his binoculars) as it came in from astern, flew
close down the port side, and disappeared. That analeptic sight was all
that was needed, my dipidus subsided, no more than a memory, and the
strength of that magic view was enough that I am, a whole 5 days later,
still in remission – of course a friend just told me that she is going on a
Port Fairy pelagic in October ….

But enough rapturous ravings. I will put photos on my blog tomorrow,
including one of the Grey Petrel.

Pardon? Oh yes, I saw 16 species of pelagic seabird including hundreds of
Common Diving-Petrel, Salvin’s Albatross, Buller’s Albatross, Southern
Royal Albatross and Great-winged Petrel. On land I found Forty-spotted
Pardalote, as one should when visiting Tassie, and a yawning Silver Gull –
I did not realise that birds yawned, but this one did, so wide that I could
see its tonsils beyond the end of its pink tongue.

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/