birding-aus

Would this recording technique be legal/ethical?

To: "Peter Waanders" <>, <>, "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: Would this recording technique be legal/ethical?
From: "Ross Macfarlane" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:41:27 +1000
It seems to depend on the bird a bit; some are more skittish than others, but our experience is it takes a good deal more than a human visit or a tripod to put them off. VMRG visits over 1200 nests per year in NW Victoria with on average over 10% active, and they aren't easily put off.

I participated in digging out a nest a couple of years back (as part of someone's PhD project on malleefowl DNA - she was incubating eggs and releasing chicks at 24 hours old after collecting a blood sample.) The male bird's response was to hang around about 20m from the nest swearing at us vociferously.

I wouldn't advocate anyone do that of course, but if you approach the nest quietly and minimise the disturbance, it's unlikely you will cause any long term harm. The birds are pretty committed to their nests.

If you set up around the middle of the day you are least likely to encounter and disturb the bird.

Also, if anyone wants to really discover just how wonderful malleefowl are, email me about the VMRG's training weekend at Wyperfeld on 13-14 October.

Cheers,
Ross Macfarlane
Victorian Malleefowl Recovery Group

-----Original Message----- From: Peter Waanders