birding-aus

CGW sites nr Mt Isa

To: "" <>
Subject: CGW sites nr Mt Isa
From: Pat OMalley <>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:44:28 +0000
Hi all,

To confirm recent advice, both sides of the Lady Loretta (McNamara)Project
Road mentioned by Thomas and Thomas as Carpentaria Grasswren sites have been
extensively burned. The area between the floodways has only one or two smallish
 patches of spinifex left and two hours observation on 13th Sept. produced
almost no birdlife at all and certainly no sign of CGWs.

Further bad news is that the road is being extensively upgraded to carry up to
a dozen road trains a day from the new mine opening up. I got a fairly hostile
reception from the road workers who seemed to think this is a private road
(it's not). To give them the benefit of the doubt, the road has radio
controlled call-in notices, as a safety precaution with the graders. They were
concerned that I had not radioed in - which is a company requirement but of
course meaningless to normal motorists and even birders.

On the other hand a friendly young women who was sent out to check on me was
happy to chat. She said the burn had extended much of the 60km out to the
mines, but that (from her description of them) Australian Bustards are to be
found around the mine area.

For the record, I had no luck with Kalkadoon Grasswren at Mica Creek (twice) or
the microwave tower hill 30km toward Camooweal. Had given up when I had the
briefest of glimpses at the third attempt at the gully  at the end of Pamela
Street on the last morning.

Cheers
Pat

Pat O'Malley
Professorial Research Fellow|Faculty of Law | University of Sydney | NSW
2006|Australia
Voice: +61 (0)2 9351 0395|Mobile +61 (0)404 273392| Fax  +61 (0)2 9351 0200
Email: <>
Visiting Professor, School of Law and Social Justice, University of Liverpool.