birding-aus

RFI - Best probability sites for in SE for Australasian Bitterns

To: <>
Subject: RFI - Best probability sites for in SE for Australasian Bitterns
From: "John Weigel" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 17:59:20 +1000
The Birding for Devils 'Big Year' continues, though I must apologise for not
producing more trip reports on the blog. I have at least kept the list of
sighted birds up-to-date on the site - current count is 693, with completion
of the box-set of honeyeaters yesterday with Painted Honeyeater (thanks Mick
Roderick for the tip-off). And thanks also to a whole lot of other people
who responded to my earlier RFI and helped me find the targeted species.

The purpose of this post is that I'm heading back to the southwest of the
country next week, and would appreciate any gen on recent sightings of
Australasian Bittern and Painted Snipe anywhere vaguely en route (from
Sydney to Albany). Short of any recent sightings, any suggestions of
specific locations where a mid-September visit would seem to be worth a try
would be terrific. Please contact me off-line on
. Should it prove to be the case that early Spring is a dumb time to search
for these two toughies, there's still a chance at the end of the year, as
I'm holding onto a block of the last ten days of the year to try to fill
achievable mainland dips.

Thankyou in advance for any specific advice you can offer!

Sincerely

John Weigel

www.birdingfordevils.com.au