birding-aus

Oops, a Quantum shift

To: Jeremy O'Wheel <>
Subject: Oops, a Quantum shift
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 21:54:35 +1000
Jeremy,

I think that the real problem of heavy metal and other toxins is not the larger
pieces of plastic directly ingested by the sea birds. It seems that the small
(say, less than 1-2mm) that are ingested by other species are the real
culprits. The smaller particles are ingested by smaller species and so the
contaminants steadily work their way up the food chain, a la Minamata Disease.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

On 06/09/2012, at 9:08 PM, "Jeremy O'Wheel" <> wrote:

> It's interesting.  I've been paying a lot of close attention to this issue,
> because Jenn Lavers is from my university, and one of the strongest critics
> of her research, Dr. Maureen Davey, is a close family friend.  A lot of the
> results about heavy metals in birds haven't been able to be repeated, and Dr
> Davey, who has worked in Aboriginal Health for many years (and is a medical
> doctor, and senior lecturer in public health at UTas) was initially quite
> concerned because short-tailed shearwaters are eaten (muttonbird) and the
> contamination was high enough to cause toxicity in people eating it.  However
> the research she's been involved with hasn't been able to find significant
> contamination, and I don't think there's been any demonstration of negative
> health effects in people eating the birds either (although I'd have to check
> that).  There's also been a lot of criticisms of the methods used, but I
> didn't really follow those.  I should add that this my impression from a
> number
 of discussion with Dr Davey (we often go birding together), so it's entirely
possible I've misunderstood.