birding-aus

Trip Report Torres Strait 24 August 2012- 29th August 2012

To: <>
Subject: Trip Report Torres Strait 24 August 2012- 29th August 2012
From: "Alan Benson" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 15:22:44 +1000
Participants-Rohan Clarke (leader), Allan Benson (organiser), Robin Benson,
Alan Morris, Dick Jenkins and Steve Edwards.

Itinerary- Met in Cairns 22nd Aug.

 Morning of 23rd, Esplanade-Pied imperial Pigeon(80),Sharp-tailed
Sandpiper(12+), Great Knots(30), Red Knots(10+),Grey -tailed Tattler(6),
Eastern Curlew, Black Tailed Godwit, Reef Egret, Metallic Starling, Fig
Parrot, Little Tern (1), Varied Honeyeater.

Centenary Lakes- Collared, Forest, Sacred and Little Kingfishers,
Great-billed Heron, Fig-Parrot, Striated Heron, Rajah Shelduck, Jacana,
Cicacabird (pr), Hobby, Pacific Baza

Catanna Wetlands White Browed Crake,  Green Pygmy Goose, Brush Cuckoo ,
Brown Quail.

 Afternoon flight with Qantaslink to Horn Island. Stayed at Gateway.

24th, Morning flight with Westwings to Boigu . Boigu 24th,25th and 26.th

Morning flight to Saibai 27th. Sabai 27th and 28th.

Morning Flight to Horn Island 29th. Hired water taxi to Little Tuesday
Island.

 Afternoon Flight to Cairns with Qantaslink. Rohan flew back to Melbourne
the same night. Others  overnighted in Cairns to return to Sydney on 30th.

Logistics. The logistics are relatively complex. Permission is required from
the local council and the chairman of the PCB.  There were some issues
getting in touch with the right people but once this was organised, it was
OK. We shipped food on the barge from Cairns. Despite a few minor hiccups
this worked well and it was a reasonable price. There are shops on both
Boigu and Saibai but the range of food, particularly fresh vegetables is
somewhat limited.

Weather - Temperature was about mid to high 20's. Overcast and quite windy.
One shower of rain on Saibai

Boigu. We birded each end of town, the swamps behind the airport and spent
the afternoons on the break wall. There was a lot of walking. Dick Jenkin
had a pedometer and he were averaging around 20,000 steps per day.

 85 species were seen here.

Highlights were:

Red-headed Flowerpecker - Stunning views in vine forest past the tip. Saw
male again in the same spot the next day. 4+seen.

Collared Imperial Pigeon - 14 sightings including one perched view. Most
views from break wall near the church

Singing  Starling.  Estimated 30+. However, the fig tree near the council
offices is not looking the best and there were markets in the area with lots
of noise , so no birds were seen the first day. The next morning we saw 4
immatures on the powerlines near our accommodation and 4 adults in our
backyard. We then saw small groups around the town, mostly in the early
morning or afternoon.

Large-tailed Nightjar(in hand), Red-backed Buttonquail(in hand), Eclectus
Parrot(4 -all males in flight),  Mangrove Golden whistler, Common Sandpiper,
Black Noddy (2), Swamp Harrier, 13+Pied Imperial Pigeons per  day.

Of interest here was a very brown Yellow Oriole. It was photographed and
Rohan was confident of ID.

Rohan got good scope views of an unknown raptor. Despite taking half a page
of notes, he was not able to nail it.

Saibai- We were fortunate to hire a ute from the Council and thus easily
birded both ends of town plus various swamps.  85 Species were seen on
Saibai.

Red-headed Flowerpecker (4+), Collared Imperial Pigeon (6). Pied Imperial
Pigeon (120), Eclectus Parrot (5). Wandering Whistling Duck (125), Black
Duck (240), Black-winged Stilt (200), Greenshank, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper,
Lesser Sand Plover, Rufous Fantail (1), Common Tern (10), Bar-tailed Godwit
(6) Glossy Ibis (60), Brown Goshawk, Barking Owl (2).

We saw 105 species on the two islands which represents roughly half on what
is on Mike Tarburton's checklist.  Mike lists 159 species for Boigu and 171
for Saibai. The only birds seen  that were not on the list were: Black
Noddy, Bar-tailed Godwit and Common Tern.

Of course, we were hoping for a mega tick for Boigu and Saibai but alas ,
not to be, despite being constantly on the lookout for a Gurney's Eagle. We
put a lot of effort into trying to see Spotted Whistling Duck with no
success.

Little Tuesday Island

Pale White-eye(20+), Mangrove Golden Whistler, Pied Imperial Pigeon (30+),
Rose-crowned Fruit Dove (10+), Beach stone-Curlew(2).

Atlas sheets will be completed.

Please contact me if further detail is required

Allan Benson