birding-aus

Wandering Tattlers back already

Subject: Wandering Tattlers back already
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 06:42:51 -0500
Just a northern hemisphere perspective on this.

As an Aussie living in America, it's fascinating to watch the migration here and also to see people's reaction to it!

I would say the wader (=shorebird) migration here is pretty much like clockwork. The first few adults start returning in the last week of June. Which is neat, given that the Loon migration northwards only ends in the second of week of June, so if you look at the phenomenon as a whole there is only about one boring week in June when it's really dull!

So the adults start pouring back at the end of June, and then in the last week of July, the juvenals start coming through. I don't know how this compares to the European scene, but it is very predictable here.

As far as people's reactions go, it seems to me that when the first signs of migration appear, there is a very strong tendency to think the first migrants are unusually early! I see this time and again. Don't know why. Most of the birding guides have charts showing when things move through a particular state, so it's not like the information isn't there!

Cheers, Chris.