birding-aus

PNG & Playback

To: <>
Subject: PNG & Playback
From: "Geoffrey Jones" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:42:37 +1000
Good Evening Everyone

                                             I have just finished putting up
the last of the birds that I photographed in PNG, but also of late there
have been a few posts that seem to cast photographers in a bad light. I
would like to remind some of you that a lot of time, money and effort go
into bringing reasonable quality photos to the computer screen for your
enjoyment and I believe that there are a few armchair critics out there who
for one reason or another just like to criticize the current way that we are
using playback to help us get reasonable photos for viewing and
identification purposes. Just remember that we have all seen that in the
past plenty of photos taken by prominent ornithologists at the nest of birds
and to be fair that was the only way a while ago that good identification
photos were taken, which I think is  far more detrimental to their heath and
there young. Also many of the government departments and birding
associations use playback to find certain birds either to count or observe
them and you would have to be very nave if you do not think this is the
case. I could also go on about bird banding but that opens another can of
worms in the interest of research so please do not bother to contact me on
this issue as you will only receive a very curt reply! As for playback
,personally at anytime if I felt that I was putting stress on the bird I
immediately turn off the tape and move on, but I do find from a lot of
experience that most birds come in have a look and go, and as most of you
know I have photographed the odd bird or two. Also the majority of my photos
are taken without using playback it is just that some of the skulkers cannot
be photographed well unless playback is used or you have 500 years to
photograph them. Most of us love the Australian Bush and the birds and
animals that live here and the last thing that any of us want is to lose a
single creature for the sake of a photograph.

On another note I am interested in the photos that I took of the
White-shouldered Fairywren as the female at 2 different locations are
totally different in plumage from each other and I think that more research
needs to be done for this species and many others in PNG. Here is my usual
link to my latest photos
http://barraimaging.com.au/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup

Kindest Regards

Geoff Jones