birding-aus

Identifying Mangrove Golden from Golden Whistler

To: <>
Subject: Identifying Mangrove Golden from Golden Whistler
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:37:42 +1000
I've been looking at identification features separating male Mangrove Golden
Whistler from the very similar Golden Whistler and it seems to me that the
much greyer wings of Mangrove Golden is the single best feature to identify
that species. The broader yellow collar of Mangrove Golden and the black
tail of that species, with the Golden having a partially grey tail, are two
further features but they are more difficult to discern in the field. I
don't believe that a richer, more orange colour in Mangrove Golden - cited
as a difference in some references - is a good identification feature.

 I've posted some photographs and comments here and would appreciate any
further comments:

http://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com/

Greg Roberts