birding-aus

classification of birds as aquatic, marine or terrestrial

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: classification of birds as aquatic, marine or terrestrial
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:12:03 +1000
I would take it further - Black Swans are often seen on wet grasslands!
Guess it depends on why you want to do this Lynda - personally I would not
place waders as aquatic birds as - whilst most are found on shorelines -
they do not actually go in the water much! ANd many ducks, cormorants etc
are just as much at home on "marine" (by which I take it you mean saline)
as "aquatic" (fresh?) environments - indeed cormorants
are predominantly marine. And as Philip points out it depends on the
species not the family - some ducks are marine, some aquatic and some
terrestrial!