birding-aus

Noisy Pitta Behaviour

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Noisy Pitta Behaviour
From: Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge <>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:10:08 +1000
Hi Folks,
We have been getting a Noisy Pitta come around the Lodge feeding area for the last few weeks and was first observed eating banana that a honeyeater had dropped. So we put some more out on the ground and it came in to eat this but on several occasions when there was no banana on the ground it jumped up onto the honeyeater feeder and grabbed some from there. It disappeared after a bit of rain but came back as it dried out and was seen one day sunning itself in front of our units. A image of this can be seen on our blog http://kingfisherparkbirdwatchers.blogspot.com/. This bird looked to be a first year bird as it still had a small dull buffy patch at the base of its bill. Our neighbours had what appeared to be the same bird in their garden two days ago which is when it stopped coming into the feeder. Maybe fancied a change of diet from banana!

Also one of our guests reported seeing an Orange-footed Scrubfowl bashing a frog onto the ground before eating it - not a food item mentioned in HANZAB or any behaviour we have noticed.

Regards,
Keith & Lindsay.

--
    Keith&  Lindsay Fisher
    Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge

Winner: Wet Tropics 2010 Cassowary Award for Nature Based Tourism