birding-aus

Clarification - use of Olympus recorder to boost hearing

To: BirdingAus <>
Subject: Clarification - use of Olympus recorder to boost hearing
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 04:59:36 +0000
Dear All,

I am posting this to clarify a couple of things I said in relation to using
this recorder to pick up bird calls.  Firstly, you definitely need to wear ear
buds/head phones to pick up the calls.  Secondly, although it works without a
mike attached, it is certainly much better with a directional mike for locating
the direction of the bird calling.  This may be a deal breaker for many as it
all adds to the clutter that we have to carry anyway.  I tackle this problem by
suspending the mike in a plastic tube and attaching that to a belt lug via a
carabiner, but you still have to take it out and wave it around every now and
then!

Thanks to David Stewart for making me think about this a bit more.

Kind regards

Judith