birding-aus

White-browed WS in Top End (was Dusky Woodswallows near Darwin, NT)

To: Niven <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: White-browed WS in Top End (was Dusky Woodswallows near Darwin, NT)
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 20:50:01 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Niven et al,

Not sure of the significance of this per your comments but on the 27th June
last year I saw two large(ish) mixed flocks of White-browed / Masked
Woodswallows in the vicinity of Edith Falls, about 50km N of Katherine. The
first flock was of about 150 birds, which appeared over the escarpment near the
top falls at about 1315. The interesting thing (in hindsight) was that
White-broweds outnumbered the Masked by about 2:1 (so 100 roughly WbWS;50MSW).
I have a couple of photos that clearly show more White-broweds than Masked.

This happened about 40 minutes after I photographed a Red Goshawk back along
the track before you descend towards the creek. Pretty much at the same time as
I saw the Woodswallows (ie 40 mins after I photographed the goshawk) I saw 2
raptors circling in the distance which I was 99% certain were both Red
Goshawks. There were also small groups of Little WS on the lower slopes
clumping in tree branches.

The second WS flock was slightly larger (so say 200 birds for argument's sake)
and was seen along Edith Falls Rd in the late afternoon (no prizes for guessing
where I was going!). I didn't get a good handle on which species was the
dominant, but they were both in there.

At the time the Woolybutts were in full bloom and there were great
concentrations of Banded HE's (and Browns) on the Top Falls track where the
goshawk and woodswallows were seen. Perhaps White-broweds and Maskeds might
push into this area to feed on the Wollybutt blossom? But then again, they
would likely head further north if that was the case?

I saw Hooded Parrots and Gouldians late that afternoon - it really was a
memorable day's Top End birding.

Mick