birding-aus

Cairns trip report - 28-30 October

To: John Graff <>
Subject: Cairns trip report - 28-30 October
From: Steven Burns <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:58:25 +0800
Hi John ,     How did the palagic trips go at weekend ? Sorry i missed out
, i would have loved to have gone but due to other comitments was unable to
get there. I bet you saw some great birds . I believe you know where a pair
of Masked owls are breeding in Jarrahdale area. This is a new species for
me and would love it if you might be able to give me some idea as to where
best to look. i don,t know that area very well but being that there is only
one road through there it can,t be too hard to find my way around the area
hopefully.Maybe if you are going down there in the near future i might tag
along.I,ve been down to Canning dam a couple of times to find the Owlet
Nightjars but not recently and have heard a few birds but still not seen
them.Will try to get down there soon to pin them down as it,s only a short
distance from my place . Saw 2 little Button Quail yesterday 08.20 by the
side of Canning mills rd , not far from Melville rose nursery , which was a
pleasant surprise and a first for me ,theyr,e tiny little things,much
smaller than brown quail and painted ,s so that was good! Not been back too
long from a couple of weeks in Borneo, you,d love it there . Got about 220
new species of bird and saw some fantastic wildlife like; primates,
squirrels,otters,reptiles. Had a close shave with a Spitting Cobra which
was memorable. Like you, i,m interested in mammals,reptiles,insects and the
whole package ,not just the birds like some people seem to be.Anyway must
get back to work,hope to hear from you soon.     Cheers Steve B