birding-aus

Birding & glasses

Subject: Birding & glasses
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 12:43:21 +1000
Hi all,

read the discussion with interest, astigmatism it seems leaves your options limited. If you can adapt this product:

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3_page.asp?id=54&Tab=_back

to your binoculars it should allow you to get better images from your binos and to be able to use the full field of view. They are designed for astronomical telescope eyepieces, some of which have particularly wide apparent fields of view and these products were developed to allow people with astigmatism to to take full advantage of the wide field of view.

The other thing to consider with eyeglasses is to get multi coating on the lenses to minimise reflections. Have not actually tried any of these as I still don't use specs at 51, despite being told 6 or 7 years ago when tested at work that _everyone _over 45 needs glasses. I think at the time I tested as very slightly short sighted and annoyed the hell out of the optometrist when I could read the bottom line of the eye chart and the prescribed diopter lens he had me try made the chart harder to see. I've seen a couple of examples where people have been told they need glasses but when they spend the $$$ the specs make things worse for them, so if it doesn't seem right get a second opinion.

regards,

Chris Ross