birding-aus

Cassowary news

Subject: Cassowary news
From: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:08:06 +1000
Just an update on the Cassowary nest situation near Kuranda, now I have
returned from PNG- there were 10 eggs by Jul 14, and we have now not seen the
male for some 4 days. He and the female were mating last week, but only the
female has been coming through each morning so we are hoping he has finally
commenced incubation. I am sure the very old eggs will be non-viable but
hopefully some of the more recent ones will come to hatch, maybe this is what
always happens, though I actually think not as usually he disappears and we
don't see him at all for around 6 weeks.
Phil Gregory
www.cassowary-house.com.au