birding-aus

What value a photo?

To: Stephen Murray <>
Subject: What value a photo?
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 13:09:14 +1000
One obvious difference between the amateurs and professionals (and I am not
a photographer) is I guess that if it is your livelihood you seek to
actively market your images, produce calendars, books etc. For an amateur
any income is nice but I guess unless you get that special shot - the first
Night Parrot would be nice - there will always be someone else who will
give something for free.

But there is no reason I am sure why they cannot co-exist. In a related
field we can look at bird guides - there are many (I would say an
increasing number) of professional bird guides, but there are also many
amateurs on sites like Birding Pals who take people out because they enjoy
it. I am in the latter category and if someone contributes to my expenses
that is good - but if not I don't really mind as I have almost always had a
good time. Some people I guess are always happier paying for a professional
service - others prefer for various reasons an amateur.

So I think you have to make decision Cheryl - if it is a hobby then accept
that it will cost you money (birding is certainly not free, but then few
hobbies are) and be grateful when a few $ come your way. If you want to
make money then you will need to approach things in a different way. And
finally I would guess - as you hint - that the end use is important. If
someone wants to make an educational brochure for schools then I would be
much more likely to donate my (hypothetical) images than if they were using
them to make tourist souvenirs!