birding-aus

birding and glasses

To: bird <>
Subject: birding and glasses
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:48:44 +1000
On 19/07/2012 4:32 PM, Peter Shute wrote:
I use glass lenses too - cheaper, thinner, and more scratch resistant. But
there's a great danger they'll shatter if they fall to the ground, leaving one
to make one's way home half blind.

I tried lifting mine to use binoculars, but decided there was too much risk of
pulling them off if I caught the eyecups on them.

As for achieving a full high quality field of vision, I don't think it's
achievable even with plain lenses, let alone multifocals. I think all you can
do is find an optometrist who understands what you want, who knows how to get
the best compromise, and isn't biased towards the most expensive designs.

I've had conflicting advice about what aspheric lenses do for you. Some say
they give better sharpness at the edges than spherical lenses, others say they
just allow the lenses to be thinner at the edges without losing too much
sharpness there. Ie they look better but give a worse view. There's no doubt
they cost heaps more.

Peter Shute

Sent using BlackBerry