birding-aus

Latin sub-species names - why the change in endings?

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Latin sub-species names - why the change in endings?
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 14:28:06 +1000
Philip

It has very little to do with gender as you normally think of it. But Latin
and French (that I know of - I think other non-English languages as well)
assign all nouns to a gender of male, female or (in some cases?) neuter.
Nothing to do with the "Sex" of the object - you could have the word for
milkman for example being "feminine" (been too long since I studied French
or Latin so I can't give any real examples). So for example as the
referenced article says - Equus is a masculine Latin noun - whatever the
"sex" of the horse. And so any qualifying adjectives must be masculine.

Complicating this is the fact that some Genus names are made up or of
non-Latin origin!

Hope this helps a little - taking me back lots of years to my schooldays!

Dave