birding-aus

C&B2008 vs IOC 3.1 Common Name Changes

To: <>, <>
Subject: C&B2008 vs IOC 3.1 Common Name Changes
From: Michael Ramsey <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:16:18 +1000
Thanks to Frank for summarising many of the changes, splits and lumps in the
IOC 3.1 list.

As I was looking through the name changes a few jumped out at me as and I
thought "why change them" and I would like to know the reasoning behind some of
the changes or anyone else's thoughts.

I know some such as Scarlet Myzomela from Scarlet Honeyeater are attempting to
conform to more widespread international usage, and Flycacther to Flyrobin as
well( sounds wrong to me) but why change Australian Wood Duck (which most
Australian's use anyhow, who are the people who see and observed these birds
most often) to Maned Duck again, who uses that name anymore?

The south-west black-cockies had me a bit confused as well, perhaps the
reasoning behind this is it is not so PC to use people's names to name birds
anymore.

Hooded Plover to Hooded Dotterel, perhaps as they are not in the core
Charadrius group, but why change this.

I understand some splits and lumps and resulted in changes such as Cicadabird
to Common Cicadabird.

Do anyone else have issue with any of these name changes?
Many people who have responded to this topic have indicated they follow IOC now
and not C&B, will this mean you will take up these name changes too?

Just some things to discuss.

Michael Ramsey