birding-aus

banded plover

To: "'Gary Wright'" <>, <>
Subject: banded plover
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 23:45:52 +1000
It seems to me that your question sort of implies that DNA testing has been
done for all birds and that we know the answer to this for all birds (let
alone for the Banded Plover). I am sure we don't come remotely close to
this. Also I would be fairly confident that not all individual birds of many
species use the same mating system. It does appear to be correct that
research on several bird species that were normally observed or assumed to
be monogamous do also include some to much extra pair matings.

Philip