birding-aus

Southport Pelagic June 16th

To: "robert morris" <>
Subject: Southport Pelagic June 16th
From: "Paul Walbridge" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:03:36 +1000
Rob, P. m. gouldi is what we get here all the time apart from that nominate P.
m. macroptera that I pointed out to everyone last June, so I don't bother to be
specific unless we actually see a nominate bird. Hopefully soon, they will be
split and then I can report the majority as Grey-faced Petrel. As for the
weather, a detailed report goes into the data-base maintained by myself and
David Stewart. I try to keep the Birding-aus report as brief as possible, so as
not to bore people, a lot of people on this list really only want to read what
was seen on the day and have expressed as such in the past. Cheers - Paul.

>>> robert morris <> 20/06/2012 10:04 am >>>

Paul

thanks for the trip report - a truely fantastic trip for SEQ - it was nice to
be surrounded by Petrels and Albatrosses and to repeatedly!! hear the shout of
'Light-mantled Sooty....'. I have to say after the bird reported on the
Sunshine coast in early June and 2 or 3 birds found on Fraser Island last week,
I was almost expecting (and at least hoping) for one (but not 3!).

Just a couple of things to add - all of the 'Great-winged Petrels' - as far as
I saw and photographed were P. (m.) gouldi - Grey-faced Petrel. We still only
have the one record of P.m.macoptera - June 2011 on the NZSP trip.

It is also worth noting the longer term weather context of this trip. The
marine weather conditions leading up to the trip produced 'the Perfect Storm'
for us. A deep low pressure system formed from a trough to the NE of Fraser and
moved SE from Sunday 10th to Weddnesday 13th (then move E) with conditions
abating late in the week. This produced strong SE winds offshore blowing at
60kts+ across SEQs seamounts with Es coming all the way from NZ. Onshore winds
were also strong - a group (Paul, myself, Colin Ried, Stuart Pickering and Andy
Jenson) of us were on Point Lookout 9North Stradbroke Island) on Monday in
30-40kt SE backing S winds and we saw 2-4 Northern Giant Petrels, Fairy Prion,
Black-browed Albatross, 30-40 Grey-faced Petrels and 4+ Providence (with 9
species of tubenoses recorded during the day). The conditions would have pushed
a lot of birds up into Fraser Island's offshore waters. On Saturday, the winds
simply pushed everything back in our direction after 5 or 6!
  days of SSE-SSW winds.

Let's hope for another East coast low in July......

Rob Morris

Brisbane, Australia