birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 18 Jun 2012 01:31:15 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 17 Jun 2012.

Sun 17 Jun Square-tailed Kite Cranebrook NSW
At 09:35 a single adult bird flew low over Vincent Rd, near corner of Northern Rd and across from the Air Services Australia site, now Wianamatta Regional Park. The bird was looking for prey at tree height, circling slowly without a care for me photographing it. In my experience this has to be the most approachable of all raptors I have encountered. To see a nicer version of the image copy the below link into your browser. http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d/6768-2/Square-tailed-Kite_AGL9449.jpg
Ákos Lumnitzer

Sat 16 Jun Grey Goshawk, Black-necked Stork, Peregrine Falcon, Silver Gull Private Properties 10km North West of Moree
Over a month back we spotted a Grey Goshawk on the ground before soaring above us and now we spotted another one in the same location, only a few metres were it was over a month back. (Would this be the same one? (Maybe - moderator). Later we spotted an immature Black-necked Stork sitting on the edge of a farm dam. And at that same dam, we spotted a Peregrine Falcon which was attacking ducks. We also spotted 10+ Silver Gulls at the next dam. Other interesting sightings included Little Grassbirds regularly heard, 10+ Gull-billed Terns at each dam, a solitary Whiskered Tern, an Immature Brown Falcon, Australasian, Hoary- headed AND Great crested Grebes all in abundance coming right near us, 15+ Richard's Pipit, 6 Blue Bonnets up close, numerous Cisticolas, many Black-fronted & Red-kneed Dotterels, possibly hundreds which ended with a Spotted Harrier landing right in front of us.
Curtis Hayne

Spangled Drongo. Gull-billed Tern & Double-banded Plover Lake Cathie nr Port Macquarie
A Drongo observed calling from coastal vegatation, also observed on nearby sand spit, a pair of Gull-billed Terns loafing with Crested Terns. The Gull-billed were still in breeding plumage, with full black caps down to black bills. Also seen was a single Double-banded Plover hunting with Red-capped Plovers.
Stephen Gallivan

Square-tailed Kite Lake Innes Nature Reserve nr Port Macquarie
Observed a single bird gliding over heathland on 2 occasions...Bird passing overhead offered good views
Stephen Gallivan

Fri 15 Jun Lewin's Rail Bangalee Reserve, Nowra
We do weekly bird records here & this is our first sighting of a Lewin's Rail. Managed to get very close,
Ann Millard

Purple-crowned Lorikeet Wonga Wetlands, West Albury
Purple-crowned Lorikeet (1) overhead to the south, red underwings clearly seen and harsh call noted, a rare bird for NSW, this species is widely dispersed this winter with few eucalypts flowering in box-ironbark forests to the south in Victoria.
Michael Ramsey

Wedge-tailed Eagle Blackheath
West of train line, directly opposite Evans Lookout Road at 14:00. Single adult bird, low over trees battling the strong westerlies.
Ákos Lumnitzer and Sue Thomson

Thu 14 Jun Spotted Harrier Packham Drive Molong
Single bird gliding slowly over farmland and dropping every now and again into long grass
Stephen Gibbs

Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo Private Property, Wingadee-Kensington Road, near to Come By Chance
1 Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo flew over, calling for its mates!!
Steve Edwards

Wed 13 Jun Grey Goshawk. Brown Falcon, Australian Hobby Richmond lowlands, Richmond
1 Grey Goshawk seen harassing a White-bellied Sea- Eagle over the Hawkesbury River opposite Edwards Rd. A pair of Brown Falcons were in Cornwallis Lane. An Australian Hobby was on power lines in Benson Lane. Other raptors seen were a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagle over Bakers Lagoon. Numerous Black-shouldered Kites and Nankeen Kestrels. Brown Goshawk in Onus Lane and a single Whistling Kite flying over farmlands near Powells Road.
Adrian Dick and John Harding.

Tue 12 Jun Osprey Neutral Bay
Tuesday 12th, at my home unit in Neutral Bay, 12:10, two Kookaburras flew up to our balcony rail and sat for a while. Noisy Miners started to give their alarm calls and one Kookaburra did a sky point above, this made me look up in that direction and I saw two Osprey soaring, one up higher the other a bit lower. I could easily identify them as they had their wings bent forward and the lower one had a white breast with a darker necklace. They travelled soaring in a thermal and heading southeast into a strong breeze over Sydney Harbour until lost from view.
Dick Dallimore

Black-necked Stork '2HD Swamp' Sandgate (Newcastle)
One adult Black-necked Stork flew in from the south west (possibly from the Shortland Wetlands Centre?) at around 11am and foraged throughout the swamp for the day. The bird was still present at 4:30pm.
Tom Schmidt

White-fFronted Tern Town Beach, Port Macquarie
One White-fronted Tern sheltering from the strong southerly on Town Beach this morning.
Tim Morris

Apostlebird Mt Druitt
A group of Apostlebirds seen this morning, perched in casaurinas and feeding with pigeons. Just north of Mt Druitt train station next to the bus interchange.
Ben Ong

Mon 11 Jun Brolga Monkeygar Creek, Gibson Way, Maquarie Marshes
3 Brolga flew over at dusk.
Steve Edwards

Scarlet Robin Siding Spring Observatory, Warrumbungle National Park
A pair feeding about 200m short of the Observatory.
Steve Edwards

Pomarine Jaeger, Sooty Shearwater and Fairy Prions Mistral Point, Maroubra
In very wet conditions, we managed to see some birds today : 45 Yellow-nosed Albatross, 70 Black-browed Albatross, 1 Northern Giant Petrels, 1 Southern Giant Petrel, 10 Fairy Prions, 250 Fluttering Shearwater, 1 Sooty Shearwaters, several Huttons Shearwaters, 2 Brown Skua, 1 Pomarine Jaeger, 1 White-fronted Tern and 6 Kelp Gulls.
Edwin Vella & David Mitford

Sun 10 Jun Swift Parrot, Grey-crowned Babbler Ellalong (about 10km south of Cessnock)
While driving through Ellalong, was surprised to see a party of 6 Grey-crowned Babblers feeding at the edge of the road and school football field. Stopped to photograph them, and had a great bonus when 4 Swift Parrots flew in to a tall gum above! No blossom around, so they moved on quickly, but a wonderful incidental sighting!
David and Ashwin Rudder

Regent Honeyeater Kearsley Firetrail, Werakata NP, Kitchener
A single (unbanded) Regent HE seen on the bike trail leading off from the firetrail (about 100m from the main gate). This bike track was the most productive area in terms of blossom, with other nice birds seen including a single White-naped Honeyeater, 3 Brown-headed Honeyeaters, and around 30 Little Lorikeets. On the main trail, a male Rose Robin was seen.
David and Ashwin Rudder

Sat 9 Jun Square-tailed Kite McGrath's Hill STP
At 15:00 an adult kite was circling low at the Mulgrave Rd off ramp of Hawkesbury Valley Way (the new flood evacuation overpass).
Ákos Lumnitzer and Mickey Mackwan

Fri 8 Jun Black-chinned Honeyeater, Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, Ground Cuckoo-shrike, Rose & Flame Robins Koorawatha 10' Cell (Private land on Sutherland Rd)
Long weekend camp-out social group made up of members of Cowra Bird Surveyors...on private property approx 20 kms south of Cowra. Highlights .... good multiple sightings/calls of Black-chinned Honeyeaters in flowering White Box, Chestnut- rumped Heathwren in hilltop heathy regrowth, 2 Ground Cuckoo Shrikes flying/calling just on dusk, brilliant male Rose Robin in full adult colour & a group of 4 male & 1 female Flame Robins interacting.
Cowra Birdos/Campers (posted by John French)

Tue 5 Jun Ground Cuckoo-shrike Coonamble-Quambone Road
Several birds just of the side of the road, 29 km west of Coonamble.
Steve Edwards

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.