birding-aus

Trip shots from Mt Isa, Lawn Hill NP, Bladensburg NP

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Trip shots from Mt Isa, Lawn Hill NP, Bladensburg NP
From: Greg Oakley <>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 09:32:23 +1000
Hi all,

I have just put up some shots from a recent trip with mates Tim Dolby and
Tim Bawden up to the channel country in North Queensland (Mt Isa,
Bladensburg NP, Boodjamulla ­ Lawn Hill NP).

It was a fantastic trip ­ we covered over 2500km and saw 168spp. Highlights
included great views of both Kalkadoon and Carpentarian Grasswren, Hall's
Babbler and Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush at Bladensburg and Purple-crowned
Fairy-wren, Sandstone Shrike-thrush and many others at the unbelievably
picturesque Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill) Gorge.
My only (small) regret was a moment when Tim Bawden and I were birding
together ­ I then decided to wander back to take some shots, and he went up
to the escarpment ­ and proceeded to have great views of a Grey Falcon! We
ventured up to the same vantage point the next morning, but the bird didn't
show? Oh well, maybe next time!

Being primarily a birding trip, I didn't have heaps of time for photography,
so I unfortunately didn't get good shots of the grasswrens/Hall's
Babblers/CBQT etc. - obviously another trip is in order!

Being a finch nerd, I really enjoyed the quiet moments at a fabulous water
hole near Boodjamulla, watching and photographing several species come into
drink.
A beautiful pair of shy Pictorella Mannikin came in at one stage (my final
finch in Australia), but I was a little too far away for photography, which
didn't mater ­ a special moment to remember?

Tim Dolby has already sent through a fantastic trip report and I think Tim
Bawden is compiling a Blog which is worth checking out as well.

The shots are on my website:

www.gregoakleywildpix.com

Then go to Latest ­ and there is a a separate gallery for the trip,

Cheers,
Greg