birding-aus

Night Parrot.

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Night Parrot.
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 09:22:26 +1000
G'day all

The Night Parrot discussion has been most interesting.  A few thoughts of mine.

Several people have mentioned the desirability of catching one or a
pair.  Apart from a mist-net catch, photograph, DNA sample, measure
then release operation I can't see much merit in this.

Our knowledge of these bird's habits are really next to zero.
Expeditions are not likely to be successful unless they follow rapidly
on the heels of a confirmed sighting.  Even a short delay would
drastically reduce the chances of success.

The idea of using sniffer dogs has merit but we need a scent.  The
next dead bird that turns up should be treated so that it's scent can
be used.

Remote cameras could be useful but I have no experience with them.
The ones I've seen on TV and the internet seem to only capture things
that pass very close or things that are quite large.  I think you
would have to be extremely lucky to set up a camera in just the right
place to catch an image of a small parrot coming to water.  No doubt
you would get shots of all sorts of interesting critters though.

The amount of harm we have done to inland Australia is immense.  We
have changed fire regimes, introduced feral predators, feral
herbivores and weed plants.  All of these would have had great impact
on ground nesters such as Night Parrots as they have on our native
mammals.  The best way of ensuring the survival of the Night parrot is
to reduce some of these pressures.  Easier said than done of course.
The backlash from some groups when camels are culled is an example of
the pressures management authorities are under.

And then there is climate change...

I also think that we need to remind ourselves from time to time that
we have no right to see these or any other species.  Bloody hell I'd
like to see one though!

Cheers
Steve