birding-aus

Southern Thailand and beyond

To: "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Southern Thailand and beyond
From: "Geoffrey Jones" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 14:10:26 +1000
Good Afternoon

                              As some of you should already know I have just
returned from Thailand where I spent 20 days photographing my main
objectives Pittas and Broadbills unfortunately my Ghetto Blaster only played
for 4 days nonstop before 2 blokes on a motorbike blew it to pieces with a
ground to air missile!. Meanwhile back at the Thai Malaysian border I was
kidnapped by 16 lovely young ladies who forced me to sing Karaoke and drink
lots of Softdrinks in the town of Su-Ngai Kolok which the local blokes from
over in Malaysia frequent every weekend and it keeps the local economy
going. They must have spiked my softdrink as I would always stagger down to
the car each morning and pass about 4 army checkpoints with me trying to
teach them to say Gidday How Ya Goin in my perfect Aussie accent, with my
guide trying to hide under the seat as he did not want to know me but after
a few days as we pulled up at the checkpoints we would hear at least one of
the soldiers say giddayhowsitgoin but certainly it did not have that Aussie
twang.

On a serious note I had a great time in Thailand and managed to get 4 Pittas
being Hooded, Blue-winged, Fairy and Mangrove as well as 6 out of 7
Broadbills dipping on Dusky. I also heard Blue Pitta and got washed out at
Mae Wong.  I have put up the first lot of photos from the trip up on my
website with stunning shots of the Green Broadbill who came into a pool on a
small stream to bathe totally unexpectively

Here is my usual link and don't take life to seriously!
http://barraimaging.com.au/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup

Yours ( with a laugh )

Geoff Jones

Barraimaging