birding-aus

Updated Morcombe app

To: <>, "'Murray Lord'" <>
Subject: Updated Morcombe app
From: "Steve McBride" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 11:34:51 +1000
Alastair & others,
In online reviews for the Android version of the Morcombe eguide, a few
people mention the licence validation issue, & I've seen it happen more than
once to more than one person, so yes it's very true. From memory they were
all Android users.  Now in the case of the Apple version, considering the
strict controls that Apple place over applications & how you access them via
iTunes, perhaps either the publisher of the Morcombe eguide didn't consider
the regular licence validation necessary or Apple didn't allow it.

Murray,
The problem is exactly as described by Julie Sarna in a previous post.
Whilst out in the bush, out of mobile range, my friend tried to open
Morcombe app, but it failed open, with message something like 'unable to
validate licence', & it couldn't be used until back in mobile signal range
or a data connection available.  The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2, was
running Android version 2.3.3 (I think), has since been updated to 2.3.6 &
very recently 4.0.3. There hasn't been a validation issue since updating to
4.0.3, but it may be too soon to tell.  Their partner with a Sony Ericsson
has also had the same problem.  As you suggested, maybe it's got something
to do with the setup or what permissions you give the app when you load it.
If you could get further info or feedback via Michael or David that would be
great.

BTW, my friend also said on their version of the Morcombe app, the ranges of
the Yellow-throated Scrubwren races have been reversed. i.e. shows race
cairnsi in NSW, but should be Nth Qld. They reported this error over 6
months ago via online feedback, but a subsequent update hasn't fixed it.
I'm curious to know if the Apple & Blackberry versions have the same error?

Cheers, Steve McBride