birding-aus

Mulgoa Sightings

To: <>
Subject: Mulgoa Sightings
From: "Geoff Leslie" <>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 15:19:22 +1000
Black-shouldered Kites are experiencing an irruption right across Western
Victoria at present. During the bad drought years, they disappeared (along
with Barn Owls). The coming of the wet brought a mouse plague (Autumn 2011)
which I thought would bring them back in numbers, but it took a while. Last
Summer, barn owls were very frequently seen (and killed) on roads at night;
the BSKites returned and began to build. Now they are in dozens along all
the roads I drive around Central and Western Victoria. Little wonder they've
spread out to other areas as well.  Meanwhile, we've lost our Black Kites;
they seem to have moved away whereas they were the most common raptor during
the drought. It is fascinating to watch the changes rung by the changing
seasons.

Geoff Leslie,
Barham NSW